Get up out of your chair right now and start with 10 jumping jacks, 10 squats, and 5 push-ups. Now do 15 jumping jacks, 15 squats,and 10 push-ups. Keep going with 20 jumping jacks, 20 squats, and 10 push-ups until you reach 15 minutes. Do you feel the euphoria? What a difference 15 minutes can make! I bet you feel happier even if you only did 5 minutes!
Research shows a direct link between exercise and happiness. People who exercise on a regular basis tend to be happier over the long term. Not only do you get an immediate boost of endorphins (AKA happy!), but exercise can make you feel happier for a year!
- People who exercise are more resistant to diseases = happy
- Exercise can increase antibodies of the immune system by 300%
- Exercise increases serotonin levels and endorphins = happy
- Exercise with a friend or music and you get an even bigger boost = more happy
- Increase your exercise intensity and increase endorphin levels = more happy
- Walk for 10 minutes and increase your energy for 2 hours after = happy
- 30 minutes of exercise has been shown to improve sleep = happy
- Grow new brain cells pivotal to memory with exercise = happy
Heather Flebbe, M.S., ACSM holds her Master's Degree in Exercise Physiology and is a lecturer at California State University, Los Angeles. Heather also presents for the American College of Sports Medicine certification workshops. She may be reached at email@example.com.